The Board of Directors approved the formation of an Education and Standards Committee to support WADEM's work as a leader in the science of disaster and emergency health. Co-chairs are Professor Kristine Gebbie and Dr. Michael Allswede. The committee objectives for the current two-year term are:
- Establish procedures to prioritize and review the evidence base for disaster medicine;
- Conduct evidence reviews;
- Develop standards and guidance for practice in priority areas identified by WADEM and its partner organizations;
- Establish a procedural system for accreditation and reaccreditation of academic or education centers and organizations working in the field of disaster and emergency medicine;
- Establish a procedural system for endorsement and periodic review/ endorsement of education and training programs in the field of disaster and emergency medicine;
- Develop a working relationship and communication with WADEM Sections and Chapters;
- Liaise with Task Forces, Chapters, and Sections.
The committee plans to present a formal report on its work at the 18th World Congress on Disaster and Emergency Medicine in Manchester in 2013.